Close Menu
Nashville Personal Injury Lawyer > Blog > Car Accidents > Car Accidents: When The Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance

Car Accidents: When The Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance

Medical Bills Stock Photo

When you’re hit by another driver, your only consolation is that they will be responsible for the injuries you’ve suffered. Unfortunately, things take a turn for the worse when you discover that driver had no insurance, or not enough to cover the damages in total.

What do you do in these circumstances? How can you collect the money you desperately need to pay for your mounting medical bills, mortgage, and utilities, not to mention eating? Explore how to get paid when you’re hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver, and how a car accident lawyer can help pursue your case.

When the Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance

What many people don’t realize is that there are limits as to what insurance will pay for an accident. If the driver who hit you has a policy of up to $100,000, for example, that’s the maximum it will pay, even if the courts deem your case worth $250,000. Technically, the other driver is still on the hook for the rest of the money, but if they don’t have it, they can’t give it to you.

So what do you do in these cases? You can turn to your own policy if you have the right kind of coverage, or you can try to work out payment arrangements with the other party.

Using Your Own Policy

If you have underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage on your insurance policy, you can use it to kick in to cover some of the damages you’ve suffered. However, your policy will also have limits. For one thing, you can only have a total amount of under- and uninsured coverage equal to your primary coverage. That means if you want a $200,000 uninsured motorist policy, you’ll need to have $200,000 in primary (comprehensive, liability and collision) coverage as well.

Secondly, your insurance, like the other driver’s, will only pay out to its limits, regardless of how much the accident is worth overall. In the case of underinsurance, it will only pay out the difference between your policy and theirs.

For example, let’s say you have an accident worth $300,000. If you have $250,000 in underinsured coverage, and the other party has only $100,000, your insurance will pay an additional $150,000, the difference between the policies and to a maximum award of your limit.

Working with a Car Accident Lawyer

Since the other driver is at fault, you may be able to pursue them to make payments on what they owe. However, the legal channels to do this can be complicated and tricky to pursue and you should never do it on your own. This is partially why anytime you’re in an automobile accident and you get hurt, one of the first things you should do is call on the services of a car accident lawyer.

At Mitch Grissim and Associates, we’ve been working with clients in the Nashville area for many years, and have a track record of success. We care about your needs and want to help you get the compensation you deserve. Call us for a free consultation today!

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn